Save the Date for the Massachusetts MotherBaby Summit #9 … April 12, 2017
The 2017 Massachusetts MotherBaby Summit #9 will be held on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at the DCU Center in Worcester, MA.
The Summit will feature TWO keynote speakers: Dr. Elisha Wachman on groundbreaking research she is leading at Boston Medical Center for babies exposed to opioids and Dr. Raylene Phillips, a California neonatologist, on Skin to Skin: The Sacred Hour.
Registration will open in February.
Every maternity hospital in the state is encouraged to send a health care team of up to 5 staff members. Ideas for members include: Nurse Manager of Well Baby, Nurse Manager of Post Partum, Medical Director of Well Baby, Nurse Manager of Labor and Delivery, Medical Director of Labor and Delivery, Nursing Director of Maternal Child Health Service, Certified Nurse Midwives, Nurse Practitioners, Chief Nursing Officer (CNO), Staff Nurses, Charge Nurses, Quality Improvement Specialists, Clinical Educators. Each hospital may send one Lactation Consultant.
Thanks to the generous support of the W.K.Kellogg Foundation, there is no charge for admission.
Rooms are available at the DCU Center in Worcester if you need them.
The Summit will begin with Check-in and Registration from 7am to 8am. Welcoming remarks will begin sharply at 8am. The activities will adjourn at 4pm with the submission of evaluations.
2017 Massachusetts MotherBaby Summit Faculty
Elisha Wachman, MD
We are building this!
Barbara L. Philipp MD, FAAP, FABM
Dr. Philipp is Professor of Pediatrics at Boston University School of Medicine, and a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. She is the Medical Director of The Birth Place at Boston Medical Center. She served as a co-chair of the Boston Medical Center Baby-Friendly Task Force, which successfully led the hospital to Baby-Friendly designation in 1999. She was a member of the teams that helped the hospital achieve re-designation in 2007 and 2014. She is currently a Co-Chair of the Boston Medical Center Baby-Friendly Task Force helping the hospital prepare for the every-five year on-site visit by Baby-Friendly assessors. In order to help other institutions succeed in this area, she has published numerous articles on the Baby-Friendly process and lectures frequently at her hospital, across New England and nationally on the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative and other breastfeeding-related topics.
Dr. Philipp initiated the MotherBaby Summit Initiative in 2009, thanks to the support of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. She has directed Summits in Massachusetts, Philadelphia, Michigan, Louisiana, West Virginia, and Missouri and has consulted on Summits in New Mexico and Virginia. She and her MotherBaby Faculty also provide “Mock Baby-Friendly Site Visits” for hospitals in D4 as they approach the date of their official site visit.
Dr. Philipp serves on the Advisory Board for Best for Babes and is a Physician Champion for the EMPower Breastfeeding Initiative. She is a 2008 recipient of a St. Lawrence University Alumni Citation for her work in the field of maternal and child health.
We are building this site!
Looks Who’s Coming So Far
Beaumont Hospital Dearborn
Beaumont Hospital Farmington Hills
Beaumont Hospital Grosse Pointe
Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak
Beaumont Hospital Troy
Beaumont Hospital Wayne
Beaumont Trenton Medical Center
Borgess Medical Center
Covenant Health Care Saginaw
Crittenton Hospital Medical Center
DMC Hutzel Hospital
DMC Sinai Grace Hospital
Garden City Hospital
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Detroit Downtown
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
Hurley Hospital Flint
McLaren Bay Region
McLaren Greater Lansing
McLaren Point Huron
Mid Michigan Medical Center
Mercy Health Muskegon
Mercy Health St. Mary’s Trinity Health
North Ottawa Community Hospital
Otsego Memorial Hospital
Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital
St. Francis Hospital OSF Health Care
St. John Hospital and Medical Center
St. John Macomb Hospital
St. John Providence Hospital Southfield
St. John Providence Park Novi
St. John River District Hospital
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor
St. Joseph Mercy – Oakland
St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia
Spectrum Big Rapids
Spectrum Health Butterworth
University of Michigan Health System in Ann Arbor
Black Mothers Breastfeeding Association
IHA Breastfeeding Medical Specialists
Institution for Population Health
Michigan Breastfeeding Network (MIBFN)
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services WIC Program
St. John Pediatric Associates
Wayne State University
A sample of evaluations from previous Massachusetts MotherBaby Summits
2012 Summit (Detroit)
- Great topics and speakers. Can’t wait until the next one.
- Hospital sharing was great and happy to hear so many positive stories.
- Very well put together and organized.
2013 Summits (Traverse City and then Detroit)
- I thought it was a great conference. I was glad my CNO came with me. I was feeling a lack of support with a change in administration. This helped her understand and I feel much more assured of her support now.
- This was an excellent conference and the information provided was extremely valuable.
- Wonderful opportunity to network. Especially beneficial for administrators to attend with LCs – all hearing the same information. Promotes ideas and energy to move forward together.
- 10 stars for every session offered the entire day.
- Great day – both info presented and networking learning. Every hospital should attend this – even if not working towards Baby-Friendly as any/all of the strategies can be implemented separately of that effort.
- Empowering. Recharging my battery. Timely and relevant.
2014 Summits (Detroit and then Grand Rapids)
- This Summit was the first time attended; found it very informative and engaging.
- Wonderful topics. Fantastic speakers.
- Thank you for having this awesome Summit every year! It’s so worthwhile and a great way to exchange ideas with other hospitals. Thank you W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
- Very helpful. Informative. Collaboration in afternoon was very helpful. Wrote a lot of ideas, took a lot of notes.
- We have, today, ended our bags and reached out to our office managers. Thank you for helping to re-establish our enthusiasm!
- Very inspirational. Networking is so helpful to learn and share. Please keep them coming!
2015 Summits (Detroit and then Mt. Pleasant)
- Great Summit!! Loved all the topics.
- Very informative!!
- Wonderful motivational day. The networking is so beneficial. Speakers phenomenal.
- The time flew, all great info.
- Awesome meeting and Summit! Thank you.